Sunday, April 29, 2012

Boys Vs. Girls - I Often Go Walking

Today, I taught the Primary Kids how to sing
I Often Go Walking pg 206 PCSB

I wanted to make sure they would
remember the words really well for Mother's Day
especially since we have stake conference next week
and this would be our only week to practice.

I wrote code words on the board, so they
could remember the order of the lines in verse one.
Clover        Blue
Over          You

I sang the song through one time for them, pointing to the code words.
I often go walking in meadows of CLOVER
and I gather armfuls of blossoms of BLUE
I gather the blossoms the whole meadow OVER
Dear Mother, all flowers remind me of YOU

Then I called for one Girl volunteer and one Boy volunteer
I had the Girl and the Boy stand next to each other
When I place my hand above the Girl's head, the girls sing
When I place my hand above the Boy's head, the boys sing
When I place my hands above
both of their heads at the same time, everyone sings
When I don't place any hands above their heads the Adults sing.

They of course were competitive, but in a friendly way
and learned the song quickly.

Then I mixed it up a little bit. 
I called 3 or 4 Girl volunteers and
3 or 4 Boy volunteers to act out each line. 
The Girl's acted out Clover (walking) and Over (Gather Armfuls) 
The Boy's acted out Blue (pick flowers and put in basket)
and You (Remember point to temple and then point to Mom)

When the Girl's were acting, all the girls sang
When the Boy's were acting, all the boys sang
Then I called for more volunteers and switched them to

Boys: Clover and Over
Girls: Blue and You


At the end with just a minute or two left,
 I asked everyone to imagine themselves sitting in a field of tall grass
(this takes a lot of imagination when you live in the desert)
 and how you can feel the gentle breeze rolling over the grass. 
I want them to sing like that gentle rolling breeze
and think of how much they love their mothers.

 We turned out the lights and played a slideshow on the TV while the kids sang.

Clover Field  courtesy

Blossoms of Blue courtesy

Meadow of Flowers courtesy

A Boy Hugging His Mom with Flowers courtesy

 It was beautiful and brought the spirit to the end of singing time.


No comments:

Post a Comment