Monday, April 24, 2017

Gethsemane: Verse 3 - Through God I Can Overcome Hard Things - Object Lesson


   Gethsemane 
 Teach about how the atonement is for us and how we can use it every day to overcome hard things.

Object lesson
Through God I can Overcome Hard Things
 
Use a large clear container of water & sugar cubes.
 
I made my sugar cubes with 3 cups of sugar and 6 teaspoons of water.  Mixed it up, pressed it into in a baking sheet and baked at 170 degrees F. for 15 minutes.   The sugar hardens and then I chipped of pieces of hardened sugar to make the "rocks" to hand out to the children.
 
The sugar cubes will dissolve before you finish singing each line in the song.
 




Call a different class up each time before we sing and ask them to get a sugar cube, feel how hard the "rock" is and say something that is hard for them and toss it in the water.  At the end of singing time show them that when we give our cares to God he heals us and we can no longer pick them up or have them bother us anymore.


Review
Sing verse 1 and 2 together.

               

Verse 3 Line 1

                The hardest thing that ever was done,
            The greatest pain that ever was known

               

Verse 3 Line 2

                The biggest battle that ever was won,
            This was done by Jesus

               

Verse 3 Line 3

                The fight was won by Jesus

               

Chorus

                Gethsemane, Jesus Loves Me
 
        
 
So he gave his gift to me
In Gethsemane
 
 
Gethsemane. Jesus loves me.
 
So He gives His gift to me
from Gethsemane.
 
This was a very emotional singing time and I hope the children will never forget the love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for each one of them.  The things they shared that were hard for them, were heartbreaking.  They were very brave to share their insecurities and watch them "disappear." 
 
I am truly humbled each time a child bears testimony through song. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment