Saturday, November 5, 2011

Keep My Temple Bright - Modesty

This was a very effective singing time.  I thought I would share it.

Song: Head Shoulders Knees and Toes  275
Sing it with actions
Sing it Fast
Then sing it to do the Modesty Test https://lds.org/new-era/2009/11/head-shoulders-knees-and-toes?lang=eng&query=modesty+test
Put your hands on your head, does your tummy show?
Put your hands on your shoulders, does your shirt gape at the arm holes, can you feel your bare shoulders?
Put your hands on your knees, does your back show or your shirt pull up?
Put your hands on your toes, is you behind covered?

Dressing modestly is important to Heavenly Father. "Your body is God's sacred creation. Respect it as a gift from God, and do not defile it in any way.  Through your dress and appearance, you can show the Lord that you know how precious your body is.  You can show that you are a desciple of Chirst."  from the For the Strength of Youth Pamphlet https://lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth/dress-and-appearance?lang=eng

Song: The Lord Gave Me A Temple   153
Sing once through for the children.

Display a picture of the Temple
1. Teach the first line of the song.
The Lord gave me a temple to live within on earth
Sing the first line

Draw a picture of a cloud on the board and write premortal life then display a picture of parents holding an infant next to it.
2. Teach the second line of the song
Once in heaven I was spirit but I left my home at birth
Sing the second line

3. Teach the third line of the song
I'll make my temple brighter, I'll keep my spirit free.
Close your fists and when you sing the word brighter open your hands as big as you can.
Read Matthew 5:14-16  https://lds.org/scriptures/nt/matt/5?lang=eng
Sing third line with actions

Display picture of Adam and Eve
4. Teach the fourth line of the song
My body is a temple my Father gave to me
Read Moses 6:9  https://lds.org/scriptures/pgp/moses/6?lang=eng
Sing fourth line

Sing the whole first verse all together.

I hope that the children will remember the modesty test each time they sing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes and that their body is a temple to keep clean and pure all of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment