Sunday, October 14, 2012

Family History - I am Doing It

Ask the children in primary the following questions:
Did anyone listen to General Conference last weekend?
Did you hear of the two big announcements the prophet gave that will affect each one of you? 
The Tucson AZ temple, and the change in missionary age, boys age18 and girls age19.
What was your reaction or your parents reaction to the news?

Sing the old version (Geneology - I am Doing It)
Geneology I am doing it my geneology
And the reasons why I am doing it are very clear to me
I will keep my book of rememberance
I’ll write my history
It’s a record of my fam’ly my geneology.

Erase the words that have been changed.
Sing the new version
Family History- I am Doing It                                                                                   94
What is family history?  How can we do it?
Fam’ly History - I am doing it, my fam’ly history

What blessings can we receive from doing family history?
And the love I feel when I’m doing it Is very sweet to me.

Teach the word progenitors and its meaning, an ancestor in the direct line.
I learn stories of my progenitors; I write their history.

What is a family tree?
I keep records of my loved ones On my own fam’ly tree.

In general conference last week Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said: Do you young people want a sure way to eliminate the influence of the adversary in your life? Immerse yourself in searching for your ancestors, prepare their names for the sacred vicarious ordinances available in the temple, and then go to the temple to stand as proxy for them to receive the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost.  As you grow older, you will be able to participate in receiving the other ordinances as well, I can think of no greater protection from the influence of the adversary in your life.

Sing: Family History – I am Doing It                                                             94
sing the whole first verse a couple of times.







2 comments:

  1. How fun! I haven't heard that song in ages- and I'm old school. I like it better the old way! :)

    I also had a General Conference review this week & tested the kids on if they'd been listening. Surprisingly, most of them remembered the honeybee talk & the t-shirt talk as well. I was impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that way too. My cousins to this day still call me Jennieology from the song. I felt impressed to teach the new version and I'm glad I did, they have added a second verse about going to the temple and doing the work for our ancestors. What a great song to learn in light of our new Tucson Temple.
      Take Care Kris

      Delete